March and March leader says she does not fear white people

Scrolla | 23.08.2026 19:23

By Celani Sikhakhane

• Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma says criticism of the AfriForum meeting will not stop her movement from learning about programmes that could benefit poor communities.

• March and March supporters gathered outside the Pietermaritzburg High Court to support Inkosi Langalibalele Mayor Mduduzi Sobholenyoni Myeza in his legal battle.

March and March leader Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma says she is not scared of white people and will not allow politicians to use South Africa’s painful racial history to decide who her movement can speak to.

Ngobese-Zuma made the fiery statement outside the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Friday, where March and March supporters had gathered to back Inkosi Langalibalele Local Municipality Mayor Mduduzi Sobholenyoni Myeza.

Her comments came after March and March faced criticism for meeting AfriForum.

Ngobese-Zuma said politicians were using the fear and mistrust created by apartheid to attack the meeting.

“Politicians have said many negative things about our meeting with AfriForum and their quick reaction. I wish they could use it to improve the lives of our poor communities,” she said.

Ngobese-Zuma said she grew up and went to school with white people and had challenged racial and language issues from a young age.

“I am not that typical black person who is scared of white people. I grew up with whites and went to school with them,” she said.

She recalled challenging her school over prayers being held only in English.

“I openly challenged my principal and other teachers on why we shouldn’t have a prayer in isiZulu? I won that challenge.”

Ngobese-Zuma said March and March met AfriForum because the movement wanted to learn about programmes that could help people living in townships and rural communities.

She said the meeting was not about debates over land or genocide.

“Those who want to talk about land and genocide, they must go and do that with AfriForum. This is not our focus,” she said.

“Our focus is for AfriForum to share what they do to develop and protect their communities. We want those programmes to assist our people in townships and rural areas.”

Mayor fights court restrictions

Ngobese-Zuma said March and March would engage with anyone who shared its vision.

Her supporters were at court to back Myeza, who is fighting legal action brought by foreign nationals and Kopanang Africa Against Xenophobia.

The case relates to anti-immigrant social media posts, shop raids and demands for undocumented foreign nationals to leave Estcourt.

The court previously issued an interim order restricting Myeza’s social media posts and his entry into foreign-owned shops.

The order was extended in August 2026.

Myeza returned to court on Friday to challenge the restrictions.

He maintains that his actions were part of carrying out his duties as mayor.

The court extended the restrictions indefinitely while it waits for full arguments in the case.

Ngobese-Zuma made it clear outside court that her movement would continue choosing its own partners, regardless of criticism.

For her, she said, the test is whether those relationships can help communities that are struggling.

Pictured above: March and March leader Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma addressed supporters outside the Pietermaritzburg High Court.

Image source: March and March facebook.